Home Forums DNP Student Concerns DNP Project Barriers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

What are the primary challenges DNP students face when selecting, developing, and completing their DNP project, and what strategies can help overcome these obstacles to ensure successful project outcomes?

Laura, I see that others have not responded to your note so thought I would jump in and share some thoughts. I can speak from the point of view of faculty and former DNP student. The challenges I’ve seen many DNP students go through when selecting, developing, and completing a project surrounds an appreciation of the big picture.

Here’s something that I’ve seen in the past. DNP students develop a great intervention based on evidence, and then go looking for a problem to solve. That will not work. First, identifying a problem to address will lay the foundation for success. Identifying this problem is dependent on the system or organization. Where you work or complete your project is where your work begins. Asking leaders and stakeholders to identify problems that need to be addressed is the first step. Building these relationships will make the difference in how you start – build – implement – and analyze your project.

How does this look to you? Thoughts?

Christine
    Participant

Hi Laura, I can tell you that one of the issues I’m having is finding a second advisor. I am doing a health policy analysis on integrating primary care into behavioral health settings in NJ and the challenges that organizations face d/t conflicting licensing requirements. I am having a hard time finding a second advisor who has relevant experience and a doctoral degree. I’m also having an issue making contact with the state agencies (departments of health and of human services) for more information on current licensing and creating an integrated license. I have 10 days to sort out my second advisor, revise my proposal and have the school IRB review and approve (or, more likely, give me a waiver). It has not been easy and I don’t want to miss starting in the fall.

Your situation looks to be a cause for insomnia if not a peptic ulcer, Christine. I hope all of this comes together. One thing I’ve noticed in doctoral education, and DNP education in particular, is the urgency to rush students through in a short amount of time. Most doctorate degrees require at least 3 years (or longer) yet the DNP degree expectation has been compressed. We all try to accommodate, but sometimes it is nearly impossible to make this work. I hope it comes together for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.