Home Forums DNP Student Concerns Seeking Advice on Balancing Work, Study, and Personal Life as a DNP Student

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marvelous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

As a current DNP student juggling the demands of my program, a full-time job, and personal responsibilities, I often find it challenging to maintain a healthy balance. I am curious to hear from fellow students and graduates about strategies that have worked for you. How do you effectively manage your time and stress while ensuring academic success and personal well-being? Any tips on prioritizing tasks, maintaining motivation, and finding support systems would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hello, Marvelous. I see that others have not yet replied so I thought I would jump in and share a thought or two. Finding a balance with all of the demands of a family and career, not to mention being a student, is a tremendous challenge. I think you will agree that it boils down to setting priorities and then scheduling the important things in life, and then sticking to it.
    I use a time-management system that helps keep me out of trouble with all that I have going on in my life. I carve out time for family, and hold sacred my time for personal growth (self-care, quiet time, reflection, etc.).
    It’s not easy. What have you planned so far for yourself?

Christina
    Participant

This question is excellent because some students struggle to balance school, work, and social life. I moved to California for my DNP program without any friends or family. I started my program part-time to help me acclimate to the new area, work, and school. Initially, it was a lonely journey, but I am still adjusting to living in California and juggling school, work, and my social life. Being part-time for the first two years has been a big help with time management. I still travel the country between semester breaks and work full-time. This DNP program is always online, which helps because I can do a little homework every day or finish everything I have for the week on my days off. It allows you to go at your own pace. I know things will be harder once I am a full-time student, but there will have to be sacrifices you have to make and learning to prioritize school work. Friends and family will always have an understanding because this program is something significant to accomplish and something to be proud of, so there should be unconditional support from both. But one thing I will always recommend is to make time for yourself and your mental health and put yourself first.

Arnetta
    Participant

Hi Marvelous, thank you for your question. I am a full-time DNP student and was a transfer student last year. So, my first year at the previous university was scattered and disconnected; I had been out of school for almost 20 years, so I had to get acclimated to studying and working simultaneously. What helped me was I had to sit down and write down my priorities, which included setting up a calendar and my work schedule. Luckily, my job had self-scheduling, so I scheduled my study time around my days off. I set boundaries and tried to keep the commitment to doing homework on my days off. We, as nurses, know our health is essential, and getting enough sleep is imperative. I prioritized my physical and mental health with my physical health. I go bowling twice a week, and for my mental health, I satisfy that with my religious faith. My faith and regular interaction with my family, facilitated by a group family text, played a significant role in maintaining my mental well-being. It took me a year to coordinate the essential things in my life. Work-life balance is a continuous process to ensure that I stay on track with my goals.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.