Home Forums DNP Professional Growth The Discouragement Received From Nurse Colleagues When Pursuing DNP Reply To: The Discouragement Received From Nurse Colleagues When Pursuing DNP

Marisol
Participant

Avery:
Reading your post fills me with sadness, as I have heard similar sentiments expressed by many colleagues who made the decision to pursue their DNP. When I shared my interest in pursuing my doctorate as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), I received similar responses, especially because my entire nursing career had been focused on working as an MICU nurse. This transition may have been confusing to some, and unfortunately, the reactions I received were far from encouraging; they were judgmental and disheartening. It’s frustrating to witness fellow nurses being met with judgment, mockery, and even shame as they embark on new paths in their careers. Rather than being seen as an accomplishment, the decision appears to be perceived as a betrayal. I can relate to your experience, as I also lost contact with many colleagues when I began my own journey.
Avery, I want to celebrate and applaud your decision to further your education and serve your community. It’s a truly honorable and commendable choice to pursue personal and professional growth. As you embark on this journey, I advise you to carefully choose your support group during your graduate school experience. Surrounding yourself with positive and understanding individuals will make all the difference in your pursuit of success and fulfillment.