Home Forums DNP Education – Preparing for Practice Post Graduation Preparation

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Do DNP graduates actually feel their education prepared them well for their jobs? What improvements could DNP programs make to better meet job expectations?

D’Ann Somerall
    Participant

Dear Laura,
    This is an excellent question. Based on my experience, my DNP expanded how I view providing care for my patients. The skills I learned have allowed me to think on an expanded scale. The most impactful aspect of my DNP program was learning how I can impact health care through activities related to health policy. One of my assignments was to interview a legislator. The representative I interviewed had yet to learn what an NP can do and how we can impact access to care issues. He became a strong advocate for NPs. NP programs need to review what and how they teach students. Are programs embracing AI, and how to use it efficiently and ethically? What material encompasses leadership? By earning a DNP, these students will be thrust into leadership roles, yet they can’t provide a practical peer evaluation because they don’t want to “hurt” their peer’s feelings.

Looking forward to other thoughts on this pertinent question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.